Sales tax has to be charged in Texas if a Contracted biller does private pay collections?


I am a new owner of a medical billing business. I was recently told by a prospective client that her current contracted biller does not handle private pay collections because she (the biller) would have to charge sales tax. Does this sound accurate? I am in Texas.


According to the publication on the Texas state Comptroller Site for taxable services, the only thing I could find is the mention of Debt Collection that sayes:

"Any activity performed for consideration to collect or adjust a delinquent debt, to collect or adjust a claim, or to repossess property subject to a claim, including activity performed in furtherance of the satisfaction or compromise of a debt or claim."

This may be where the prospective client or their current billing service is getting this.

I haven't heard of this being applied to private payments before for a health care provider.

You may want to contact the Texas State Comptrollers office here and and ask them about this particular service or situation. I know some state tax agencies like ours (Alabama) are very helpful in answering these type of questions.

I'll also post on the site so others can comment on their experience.

Thanks for the question.

Comments for Sales tax has to be charged in Texas if a Contracted biller does private pay collections?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 26, 2011
Thanks, still a question, though.
by: Anonymous

Thanks! Did you mean by the quote above that charging sales tax is required?

Answer - The wording in the quotes is taken directly from the Texas state Comptrollers website describing debt collection. The way I understand that is it only applies to delinquent debts. But you may want to ask the Texas state Comptroller directly and see what their response is. Hope this helps - Thanks again!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Questions.

Recent Articles

  1. For Urgent Care What codes Do I Bill for When Sending out a CLIA Urine Toxicology Test to a Tox Lab?

    Mar 19, 18 03:43 PM

    We are working with a toxicology lab and using CLIA cups. I am getting such conflicting information as to what my practice can bill for. I want to make

    Read More

  2. How to Bill for LPC Services When Client has Medicare Primary and BCBS Secondary in Another State

    Mar 12, 18 03:21 PM

    Hi. I am an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) in Arkansas. I am not eligible to bill Medicare. My client has Medicare part B primary and BCBS secondary.

    Read More

  3. How to Get Certified in Medical Billing and Coding as Quick and Cheap as Possible

    Mar 07, 18 07:45 PM

    Hi. Thinking about a career in medical billing and coding and would like to become certified in medical coding if I go that route. What's the cheapest

    Read More

Disclaimer and Privacy provides this website as a service. Please read our full Disclaimer and Privacy Policy here.

Copyright 2018