How do I become licensed in billing and coding in IL?

by Shelley

I have earned a certificate in Medical billing & coding from a Jr. College, and I am very interested in starting my own home based business. I need to know where to go for information about Medical billing licensing and accreditation in IL. I can not seem to find anything on the internet. Please help me. Your advice that I have read is so very good and has given me a lot to think about. Thank you.



I’m not aware of any licensing requirements specifically for medical billers or coders other than a business license from your local municipality - city or county - if you are operating as a business. I briefly looked over the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation and didn’t see any requirements for health care support type professions - but you might want to check it out too.

Of course there are a variety of certification credentials offered by professional organizations such as AAPC, AHIMA, AMBA, etc. which you are probably already familiar with. Here’s more discussion on Medical Billing and Coding Certification.

If you want to obtain a business license, you can start by searching for your county and/or city department of revenue. These are usually the entities that handle business licenses. In my case I'm in the city limits so we have to have a city and county license. Of course it varies depending on where you live. You typically have to renew every year. It may be a flat amount or depend on how much the business made the previous year. For us it's typically anywhere from $200 to $300 a year - and rising due to our local governments need for funds!

The business license application process is usually pretty easy - it typically involves filling out a simple form and submitting for review. You may need a federal tax ID also which is simple to do from the IRS web site. Just visit your local city or county web site and you'll usually find everything you need to apply there. It's not a very difficult process - most local governments encourage small business start-ups and want to help you succeed.

Thanks for visiting the site! - Gina

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Questions.

Recent Articles

  1. Is it possible to work in Medical Billing or Coding at night instead of during the day?

    Oct 23, 17 09:16 PM

    How common is it that a company would allow you to work from home as well as working at night so you can be with your children during the day? I'm an

    Read More

  2. Should I get my medical billing certificate from AAPC or somewhere else before I start my own business?

    Oct 23, 17 09:15 PM

    Hi! I am contemplating starting my own medical billing business and I was wondering if I should get my medical billing certificate from AAPC or some other

    Read More

  3. What is the CPT code for 'Male Hormone Panel'

    Oct 23, 17 08:57 PM

    What is the CPT code for 'Male Hormone Panel' ...testosterone/estrogen/PSA/IGF- 1 /DHEA -Sulfate/ Progesterone Response: We'll post in hopes our Visitors

    Read More

Disclaimer and Privacy provides this website as a service. Please read our full Disclaimer and Privacy Policy here.

Copyright 2017