Can you bill insurance for multiple DOS's on one claim?
I have been helping the office manager with billing and have found several things I am questioning:
1. Can you bill the insurance for more than 1 DOS at one time?Answer Yes you can bill more than one date of service (DOS) on a claim.
2. What do you do with a patients acct balance, when a patient passes away?Answer You can continue to bill the survivor(s) in hopes they will pay. You can also turn over to collections. However unless it's a large balance it may not be worth it. It really depends on the how the practice wants to handle it. If it's a smaller balance, many providers would just write it off.
3. Are we allowed to bill insurance after a 6 month lapse since DOS?Answer It depends on the insurance company. Many will pay up to 6 months after DOS. Medicare will pay a claim up to 12 months after DOS.
4. How do we prove "summary of care" in meaningful use for MCR reimbursement?Answer Not sure how to answer so I'll post in hopes one of our visitors can answer.
5. If an insurance company does not pay on patients plan, in the future can we write it off? Answer Again it really depends on the provider's policy or direction as to whether they want to write off or bill the patient for the balance. Make sure you read the reason for denial code on the EOB (or remittance advice) to make sure it's not a coding or claim problem.
If the patient no longer has insurance coverage, they are responsible for payment - or providing updated insurance info. If you bill the patient that will many times prompt them to get involved and help resolve the issue preventing payment.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Questions.
Jul 12, 17 08:25 AM
I have been a dental hygienist for 6 years and I am ready to start my own business. I have decided I do not want to drift far from the world of dentistry
Jul 12, 17 08:24 AM
I have a background that is not a good background. My question: Are background checks done? If so, what are they looking for? Is it up to the hiring
Jul 12, 17 08:19 AM
In gulf countries they can't understand what medical billing is, where lots of billing jobs available but I need what exact role name of it to apply job
Disclaimer and Privacy
Copyright 2017 All-Things-Medical-Billing.com