Medical Insurance Specialist/Collections

by Melissa
(Small Town Alabama)

I have been in the Medical AR business for 14 years. I have worked for two major Fortune 500 corporate billing offices, managed one small Chiropractic office, and now a small DME provider. Over the years I have worked every aspect of AR from the front end intake to the back end collections. I am totally comfortable with the whole revenue cycle management process. My strong suit is claim follow up, denials, appeals and old AR.

I have been exploring and researching becoming an independent contractor as an Insurance Specialist. My thoughts are to create a plan to submit to small offices to work on their greater than 90 backlog.

Has this ever been done without totally buying into the Medical billing business and obtaining billing software?
The reason for the change is I moved from a large medical billing area (Nashville TN) with many opportunities to work for really great companies to a small town with no medical billing or AR companies to work for more than a two hour commute.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I think your idea to specialize in AR has great potential. As you know most every practice has outstanding AR and if their billing department or service is not very effective it can be substantial.

Working on AR is also something that most practices put off or neglect, so I would think there would be many opportunities for potential clients.

I also don't think you would have as much competition just concentrating on AR. Most billers don't really like working on AR and probably don't have the knowledge and experience that you do. You should also be able to access your client's practice management software without having to invest in your own.

Good luck - I think you've got a great idea.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Questions.

Recent Articles

  1. For Urgent Care What codes Do I Bill for When Sending out a CLIA Urine Toxicology Test to a Tox Lab?

    Mar 19, 18 03:43 PM

    We are working with a toxicology lab and using CLIA cups. I am getting such conflicting information as to what my practice can bill for. I want to make

    Read More

  2. How to Bill for LPC Services When Client has Medicare Primary and BCBS Secondary in Another State

    Mar 12, 18 03:21 PM

    Hi. I am an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) in Arkansas. I am not eligible to bill Medicare. My client has Medicare part B primary and BCBS secondary.

    Read More

  3. How to Get Certified in Medical Billing and Coding as Quick and Cheap as Possible

    Mar 07, 18 07:45 PM

    Hi. Thinking about a career in medical billing and coding and would like to become certified in medical coding if I go that route. What's the cheapest

    Read More

Disclaimer and Privacy provides this website as a service. Please read our full Disclaimer and Privacy Policy here.

Copyright 2018