Advice on Managing a team of medical billers
I work on a team of medical billers that handle data entry only into Brighttree - we have a daily quote that each individual is expected to meet - but only one person meets it.
Do you have any advice for motivating or increasing productivity?
Great question Amanda.
I understand your frustration in trying to meet productivity quota's.
It sounds like your team already knows what the daily quota is - so the expectations have been established.
A few things I would suggest that may help (I know every situation and personality is different):
- Make sure expectations are clear as far as what is expected and when it is expected - sounds like you already have this covered.
- Explain the rewards of meeting quota's and the consequences of not meeting them. May want to set some stretch goals and offer small rewards - or celebrations - for meeting them.
- Recognize those who meet their goals and expectations.
- Stay engaged and see what issues and challenges your team has. One thing I notice about people is that when they see their management cares - and will help them work through issues - they are more productive and happier.
- For employees that struggle to apply themselves, I'll set all the claims I would like them to complete in a day (or half a day) and say something like "I'd like to see how much of this you can complete today - we really need to get these out today." Then maybe check in with them periodically and see if they have any problems.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think threats really work - and that's not my personality. I've always felt people respond better to encouragement - but that's just me.
I also realize that all employees are different and respond differently depending on their personality - so some of these suggestions will work better than others. But in some form I've tried these with employees before and has some success.
Hope this helps - Thanks,