Essay Question: Is their a way to help Allison not be overwhelmed and have over a 100 returned claims hidden in a drawer?
Allison is overwhelmed in her new job in the insurance claim processing department.
Her supervisor is looking for a pending claim in Allison's desk and finds a drawer marked "Returns" which contains nearly a hundred returned claims sent back by the carriers for various reasons. List 3 reasons that claims could be returned by the insurance companies.
This is my question: Is their a way to help Allison not be overwhelmed and not have over a 100 return claims hidden in a drawer:Response:
There are many reasons for a claim to be denied or rejected. Some of the most common causes I've seen are:
- Errors to patient demographic data - age, date of birth, sex, etc. or address.
- Provider data errors.
- Incorrect patient insurance ID.
- Patient no longer covered by policy.
- Incorrect, omitted, or invalid ICD or CPT codes.
- Treatment code does not match diagnosis code.
- Incorrect or missing modifiers.
- Requires pre-authorization.
- Incorrect place of service code.
- Lack of medical necessity.
- No referring provider ID or NPI number.
Here's more in-depth discussion on healthcare claim processing errors
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Questions.
Oct 23, 17 09:16 PM
How common is it that a company would allow you to work from home as well as working at night so you can be with your children during the day? I'm an
Oct 23, 17 09:15 PM
Hi! I am contemplating starting my own medical billing business and I was wondering if I should get my medical billing certificate from AAPC or some other
Oct 23, 17 08:57 PM
What is the CPT code for 'Male Hormone Panel' ...testosterone/estrogen/PSA/IGF- 1 /DHEA -Sulfate/ Progesterone Response: We'll post in hopes our Visitors
Disclaimer and Privacy
Copyright 2017 All-Things-Medical-Billing.com